Mirani part of the traditional lands of the Yuwibara people.
Early European occupation of the area was due to cattle grazing, sugar can cultivation soon took over.
The railway from Mackay was constructed westwards in stages, reaching Mirani in 1885 (known as Hamilton at first, the town was renamed Mirani in 1886). Until the 1990’s, Mirani had a small but stable population.
The population more than doubled as a result of the mining boom from 2002 until 2013, due to Mirani’s proximity to the Peak Downs highway out to the coal mines in the Bowen Basin.