Ooralea (formerly known as Planelands) is part of the traditional lands of the Yuwibara people.
Early European development included the establishment of the Mackay Turf Club in 1866 for a racecourse.
Until the 1970’s Ooralea was beyond Mackay’s built up area, characterised by cane farming. In 1992 the Mackay campus of Central Queensland University opened and housing was well established between the campus and the racecourse.
Further rapid housing development occurred due to the mining boom from 2002 to 2013, transforming Ooralea into the suburb we know today.